Tuesday, July 13, 2010

On the edge

Okay yesterday was like the longest day at work....EVER. We were on our way to a call and while going to the call there was a detour sign where the road obviously didn't go through due to construction. As we are driving the "detour" we suddenly realized we were in a full on construction zone....As we were looking for a place to turn around we had 2 options. go up or go down. To me up seemed the reasonable explanation and there was only one way we could go over and exit out. My partner however a new EMT decided he was not going to listen to me and took the other route. As we started to go that way I realized that on both edges of the small man made road we were on were pretty steep. I told him to stay in the middle and we would be fine. He was going to fast at least in my opinion and veered right and into the soft sand we went. I really thought we were going to roll. And to make matters worse our ambulance was brand spanken new....2010! Anyway we were able to both exit safely through the driver side door. Which took me about 5 minutes to get the guts to do it. I really though if i moved we were going over.....I had no choice i took off my seat belt and escaped :) After getting out I realized the two driver side tires were 6 inches off the ground. If an earthquake hit it Probably would have went over. We then sat there for 2 hours waiting for the tow truck and another 1 1/2 waiting for the tow truck man attempt to pull it out. He was even scared of tipping it. Needless to say I learned my lesson and I will never again attempt to detour on a dirt road!! We were out there so long I got a sunburn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment