Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas Karma

My last call before I left for Christmas weekend will always be a little reminder that Karma is in fact a real.
We received a call at the trailer park for a fall victim. We arrived to the scene a little after the Fire truck. As we approached them they were assessing a lady who was about 50 who had fallen down and possibly hurt her leg. She did not appear to be in pain and she was surrounded by a group of about 5 older neighbors who oh so kindly carried her from the street where she had fallen to the steps of her little trailer. I remember thnking to myself what nice neighbors she has. As I began my assessment of the patient I noticed that her left leg appeared shorter than her right and it had some outward rotation. She also said it hurt a little bit. I saw a tiny bit of blood on her pajama pant leg and told her i needed to see her thigh where the pain was. I cut her pant leg and found a small puncture wound. She was very adamant about not wanting to go to the hospital and appeared very shy when being told she should be transported. She was not even abe to stand alone with pressure on the leg so she had to go. We put her in the ambulance and it was a pretty quiet ride over to the local hospital. She rested and I typed up my run form. When we got to the hospital and had her in a bed I noticed her leg looked pretty deformed to the point where i thought it was 100% fractured and the puncture wound was from her bone that had protruded through when she had fallen. I finished my paperwork gave a report and left the ER. Once outside my Emt partner asked if I knew what happened prior to the fall. I told him no. He than went on to tell me that the lady was across the way at her neighbors house on the porch and out the window they saw her attempting to steal their Christmas gifts. They yelled for her to stop and she ran down the road with them in hand eventually tripping and in the process breaking her femur. I had to run back in to tell the story to the Er staff who definitely got a kick out of the fact that Karma is true and that was why the lady was so quiet after all. She was ashamed. I hope she learned her lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment