Thursday, January 13, 2011

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Today was a pretty rough day at work. Our first came early in the morning. It was for a breathing problem. In a nursing home it usually means one of 2 things when it comes that early in the morning. They are either very bad or they have already expired. We arrived in the room to find the latter. An older women dead in her bed. She was still warm but in asystole on the monitor. She was already gone and she had a dnr....basically meaning its over and there is nothing we could do. I would have been okay to accept that however her roomate behind a curtain might I add spoke out when we entered the room. She said I heard her die. I knew she was struggling and I screamed and screamed and no one came......She went on to say that she was a fighter. I had and still have a knot is the best thing i could call it in my heart over what she said. How could a nursing home, How could a person....i don't care how uneducated they act or how many people make excuses for them...how could a human being sit and ignore a person suffocating. It has been hard for me today to accept the fact that that is what we deal with when it comes to these type of places and it's so very sad. It's sad and it's definitely not fair. I could never see a God that would allow this type of behavior to go unjudged and in order for me to let it go and had to realize such...but i still will never understand.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see care homes are the same the world over.

    Not my patient.

    I just started.

    I just got back from holidays.

    Etc. Etc.

    God bless paramedics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question, What could you do? if that person has DNR and you know that they are going to die...( now i dont know how nursing homes are run). i just wonder what can you do? i listened to my dad "guppy breathe" all night over the phone... his heart just wouldnt stop. his presurres were like 50/20 for 12 hours. thats my only real experience with the sound of sounding like there struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well what they should have done is call 9-1-1 sooner. Just because she had a Dnr doesn't mean she should be left alone and ignored. :(

    ReplyDelete