Saturday, June 26, 2010

Broken Heart

Today i met a man and today i watched him die. i sat with his 15 year old son for over an hour and tried to comfort him. He didn't know he was dead. I knew he was laying lifeless in the next room as the doctors and nurses were pounding on his chest. It was too late I already knew from the moment we moved him on the hospital bed and his heart stopped i knew it was his end...they rarely come back from that and no matter how many prayers I said the 37 year old man was dead. The call was for a man with chest pain at the park we arrived pretty quickly right behind the Ontario engine. The man was sitting in a chair around some friends. He was pale and very sweaty. He had been playing basketball...he was not very big. I complained to my partner when we received he call. I hate chest pain calls usually. The are almost always very overweight and usually are fine. When I saw him I knew something was wrong. On the calls like these is when it all goes wrong. Poor iv attempt. So diaphoretc the patches wont stick.....and his friends so loud echoing our ears in the backround. We had to leave. We took his son because he was alone, his last time with his dad alive. We tried our best to treat him and comfort him the best we knew how. He just wasn't comfortable...he was dying...He threw up everywhere even on my watch but even with impending death he was apologetic. All I know of him I learned as I watched him die. He cared about his looks..I cleaned the throw up off his face...He never asked if he was going to die..they often do I hate to admit it I was glad he didn't ask. I looked for his kids later they handled it well. they were very young it was hard on me to watch him die I'm not sure why. I had to hold back tears as a watched his son hear the news the Dr gave him the news I didn't want to give.....his dad was dead...sometimes you do all you can and they die anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment